ROLL2RAIL: silicon carbide technology for more efficient railways
New solutions to reduce energy consumption and increase the reliability of trains
- ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA
- ANSALDOBREDA S.P.A.
- BOMBARDIER TRANSPORTATION GMBH
- Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A.
- DEUTSCHE BAHN AG
- FAIVELEY TRANSPORT ITALIA SPA
- TRENITALIA SPA
- KNORR-BREMSE SYSTEME FUR SCHIENENFAHRZEUGE GMBH*KB
- NETWORK RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE LIMITED
- SIEMENS AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT
- SNCF MOBILITES
- PATENTES TALGO SL
- THALES COMMUNICATIONS & SECURITY SAS
- TRAFIKVERKET - TRV
- STADLER RAIL VALENCIA SAU
- RINA CONSULTING - D'APPOLONIA SPA
- DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FUER LUFT - UND RAUMFAHRT EV
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V.
- ASOCIACION CENTRO TECNOLOGICO CEIT-IK4
- IKERLAN SCL
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOEGSKOLAN
- POLITECNICO DI MILANO
- UNICONTROLS A.S.
- PARIS-LODRON-UNIVERSITAT SALZBURG
- Kompetenzzentrum - Das Virtuelle Fahrzeug, Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
- METRO DE MADRID SA
- INSTITUT FRANCAIS DES SCIENCES ET TECHNOLOGIES DES TRANSPORTS, DE L'AMENAGEMENT ET DES RESEAUX
- ZILINSKA UNIVERZITA V ZILINE
16 000 000 €
European programmes: Horizon 2020 - Research and Innovation Framework Programme
The railway industry, in a constant search for innovation and improvement of railway vehicles, develops new solutions that allow it to reduce its energy consumption, improve its efficiency, and increase its reliability.
This context marks the development of the European project Roll2Rail, an initiative coordinated by UNIFE and technically led by the manufacturer of rail vehicle CAF. This initiative is promote by a great public-private platform called Shift2Rail, which groups together the most important European companies in the rail industry. In addition, Roll2rail is part of the "Mobility for Growth” strategy.
IKERLAN cooperates with CAF P&A in the development of electric traction equipment for trains based on silicon carbide semiconductors.
Silicon carbide is a material characterised by superior performance compared to that of conventional devices. These properties make it possible to reduce the volume and weight of current traction systems, which are vital parameters for improving the efficiency of rail transport.
Currently, the use of silicon carbide in the traction equipment developed in collaboration with CAF has allowed us to reduce the volume and weight of power cores by 30 % and that of the magnetic elements by 80 %. In addition, losses in the conversion system have been reduced by 50 %, a fact that has increased its efficiency in a remarkable way.
For more information check this video