ROLL2RAIL: Revolutionary technologies for rail transport
Revolutionary technologies in rail transport
- ALSTOM TRANSPORT SA
- ANSALDOBREDA S.P.A.
- BOMBARDIER TRANSPORTATION GMBH
- Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A.
- DEUTSCHE BAHN AG
- FAIVELEY TRANSPORT ITALIA SPA
- TRENITALIA SPA
- KNORR-BREMSE SYSTEME FUR SCHIENENFAHRZEUGE GMBH*KB
- NETWORK RAIL INFRASTRUCTURE LIMITED
- SIEMENS AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT
- SNCF MOBILITES
- PATENTES TALGO SL
- THALES COMMUNICATIONS & SECURITY SAS
- TRAFIKVERKET - TRV
- STADLER RAIL VALENCIA SAU
- RINA CONSULTING - D'APPOLONIA SPA
- DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FUER LUFT - UND RAUMFAHRT EV
- FRAUNHOFER GESELLSCHAFT ZUR FOERDERUNG DER ANGEWANDTEN FORSCHUNG E.V.
- ASOCIACION CENTRO TECNOLOGICO CEIT-IK4
- IKERLAN SCL
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
- KUNGLIGA TEKNISKA HOEGSKOLAN
- POLITECNICO DI MILANO
- UNICONTROLS A.S.
- PARIS-LODRON-UNIVERSITAT SALZBURG
- Kompetenzzentrum - Das Virtuelle Fahrzeug, Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
- METRO DE MADRID SA
- INSTITUT FRANCAIS DES SCIENCES ET TECHNOLOGIES DES TRANSPORTS, DE L'AMENAGEMENT ET DES RESEAUX
- ZILINSKA UNIVERZITA V ZILINE
16 000 000 €
European programmes: Horizon 2020 - Research and Innovation Framework Programme
The European Union (EU) is determined to revolutionise rail transport, encourage the use of trains and heighten the competitiveness of the rail industry. To achieve these goals, it has launched an ambitious project, Roll2Rail, which involves Basque technology centre IK4-Ikerlan and CAF as the project's technical leader.
Roll2Rail is a market-oriented R&D project that will integrate key advanced technologies into innovative solutions for the rail industry. It will research and develop cutting-edge technologies to increase the capacity of the railway system by 15 % and punctuality by 50 %, reduce energy consumption by 30% and manufacturing costs by 40 %, achieve lower railway noise levels, and improve passenger comfort and safety.
CAF and IK4-Ikerlan will be part of a consortium including the sector's leading manufacturers and agencies, coordinated by the Association of the European Rail Industry (UNIFE).
This initiative is promote by a great public-private platform called Shift2Rail, which groups together the most important European companies in the rail industry. In addition, Roll2rail is part of the "Mobility for Growth” strategy.
The work package headed by CAF with participation of IK4-Ikerlan covers wireless communication. Its main goal is to carry out research into robust wireless communication technologies for train control and monitoring.
In addition to making railway coupling more flexible, wireless solutions will greatly simplify the wiring and draft gear. They will also add flexibility in operations, which will lead to lighter, more reliable trains, as well as to simpler manufacturing processes and maintenance services.
Traction systems and robust wireless control and monitoring systems play a key strategic role in the rail industry. IK4-Ikerlan has broad experience in researching and developing technologies in these strategic fields.